The Multi-Stakeholders Forum (MSF) Establishment meeting was held on 18th October, 2016 at the Kandawgyi Palace Hotel in Yangon and Core Group of the forum that encompasses eight thematic working groups was formulated by the representatives of 29 organizations, at the meeting.
The Multi-Stakeholders Forum members of the AIRBM project are institutions, organizations, individuals, which will be impacted from the decisions concerned with Ayeyarwady River, River Basin Management and future investment, and other interested people. The statutes of the Forum include Member, Core Group and Steering Committee. The AIRBM Component-1 team is supporting the Forum.
Objectives of the Forum
The objectives of the Multi-Stakeholders Forum are:
- To share information, experience and advice among all Multi-Stakeholders living in the Ayeyarwady River Basin and to create equal opportunities for all to share their opinions.
- To disseminate the accomplished tasks and progress of AIRBM planning process in implementing the Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) in Myanmar and to ensure stakeholders’ engagement in development and management of the Ayeyarwady River Basin and sustainable development issues.
Role of the Forum
The role of the Multi-Stakeholders Forum are:
- Organize and facilitate the Multi-Stakeholders consultation meeting on Ayeyarwady related issues.
- Support the future decision support system for the management of the Ayeyarwady river basin.
- Facilitate the dialogue between the policy makers, private sectors, and basin dwellers.
- Convey the key messages to use for policy advocacy purposes through consultative process.
- Ensure effective supplement and engagement in planning processes through national, regional and local level dialogues.
List of completed Multi Stakeholder Forums
|1.||16 Oct 2017||Multi-Stakeholders Forum for the Ayeyarwady State of the Basin Assessment (SOBA)||International Business Centre (IBC), Yangon, Yangon Region|
|2.||17 Oct 2017||Multi-Stakeholders Forum for the Ayeyarwady State of the Basin Assessment (SOBA)||Iceland Hotel, Mandalay, Mandalay Region|
|3.||19 Oct 2017||Multi-Stakeholders Forum for the Ayeyarwady State of the Basin Assessment (SOBA)||Tungapuri Hotel, Nay Pyi Taw|
|4.||30 Nov 2018||Introducing Ayeyarwady Decision Support System and Basin Master Plan Development Process” and “Formation of the Regional Multi-Stakeholders Forum in Middle Ayeyarwady Basin” (Middle Basin-MSF)||Hotel Mandalay, Mandalay, Mandalay Region|
|5.||29 Jan 2019||“Introducing Ayeyarwady Decision Support System and Basin Master Plan Development Process” and “Formulation of Regional Multi-Stakeholders Forum in Delta” (Delta MSF)||Pathein Hotel, Pathein, Ayeyarwady Region|
|6.||6 May 2019||2nd Regional Multi-Stakeholders Forum in Middle Ayeyarwady Basin||Mandalay Technological University, Mandalay, Mandalay Region|
|7.||28 June 2019||“Introducing Ayeyarwady Decision Support System and Basin Master Plan Development Process” and “Regional Multi-Stakeholders Forum in Upper Ayeyarwady Basin”||City Hall, Myitkyina Kachin State|
|8.||30 & 31 Oct 2019||“Introducing Ayeyarwady Decision Support System and Basin Master Plan Development Process” and “Regional Multi-Stakeholders Forum in Chindwin River Basin”||Glorious Monywa Hotel, Monywa, Sagaing Region|
Multi-Stakeholders Regional Forums
There are five difference places were selected to be held for the Multi-Stakeholders Regional Forums based on the Hydro ecological Zone in the Ayeyarwady River Basin as below. Public Consultation Workshops to be held for the formation of Multi-Stakeholders Regional Forums will be in
- Upper Ayeyarwady River Basin (Regional Venue – Myitkyina Township)
- Chindwin River Basin (Regional Venue – Monywa Township)
- Middle Ayeyarwady River Basin (Regional Venue – Mandalay Township)
- Lower Ayeyarwady River Basin (Regional Venue – Pyay Township)
- Delta Ayeyarwady River Basin (Regional Venue – Pathein Township)
The steering committee members are democratically elect-ed among the Core Group members. The steering committee members will be cooperating with Component (1) of Ayeyarwady Integrated River Basin Management (AIRBM) Project to develop Forum strategy. The steering committee members have to meet at least once every three months and attend the urgent meetings according to the work situation.
Role and Responsibilities of the Steering Committee
- To advise findings from research, workshops, technical and policy meetings to government and authorities though forum consultative processes.
- To guide and advise in developing forum work plans
Prof. Dr.Swe Swe Aye
Prof. Dr.Swe Swe Aye is currently undertaking the responsibility of the Chairperson of the Ayeyarwady River Basin Research Organisation (ARBRO), and a former/auxiliary AG Member of the National Water Resources Committee (NWRC).
Read More →
Prof. Dr.Khin Ni Ni Thein
Secretary, Advisory Group of the National Water Resources Committee (NWRC), Myanmar
Member of the National Water Resources Committee (NWRC)
Chairperson of the Yangon Region Water Management Committee, Myanmar
Read More →
U Zau Lunn
U Zau Lunn worked as a teacher in the Department of Marine Science of the Mawlamyine University for 13 years and worked as an aquatic survey team leader of the Biodiversity and Nature Conservation Association (BANCA) for 5 years.
Read More →
Daw Nwe Nwe Yi
Daw Nwe Nwe Yi is currently working as a secretary in Water Mother Organization (Local Non-Government Organization) and also had experienced in teaching about 24 years as a Junior Assistant Teacher (JAT) in SHS No-1, Thingangyun.
Read More →
U Maung Maung Oo
U Maung Maung Oo is founder and leader of Natural Green Alliance (Environmental Conservation Group) in Community Based Organization at Mandalay Region. He studied BSc (maths) MSc Final Part 1 in 1983/84 at Mandalay University.
Read More →
Daw Khin Ohnmar Htwe
My name is Khin Ohnmar Htwe. My specialization is in Economic Geography. I got a Master Degree from Yangon University with the dissertation titled ‘Geography of Tourism in Myanmar’. Formerly, I served as a Tutor in Department.
Read More →
Photos of Core Group and Steering Committee Meetings
The Forum Core Group was formed with the volunteers from 29 organizations during Multi-Stakeholders Forum Establishment meeting on 18th October, 2016 at the Kandawgyi Palace Hotel in Yangon. The core group members work together to address the important issues and to propose solutions on water related challenges and opportunities in Myanmar, public voices, Dos and Don’ts, and to guide technical and political advices.
Role and Responsibilities of the Core Group
- To provide the necessary advice in strategizing next steps of the forum and developing Basin Master Plan
- To schedule work plans on respective thematic working groups
- To engage the relevant organizations in participation and cooperation with the forum and to nominate these organizations to the Steering Committee
- To participate in at least 50 percent of Forum meetings and workshops
- To discuss the issues and results from Multi-Stakeholders Forum physical meetings through internet while members find difficult to attend the regular meetings in practicality.
- To publish AIRBM project related data, activities, reports, and the Multi-Stakeholders Forum related contents comprehensively and to engage with the public.
- To create an opportunity for all stakeholders to express their opinions freely, advice and conduct discussions on issues concerning Ayeyarwady river basin and cases which can impact on people.