Ayeyarwady Integrated River Basin Management (AIRBM) Project
Myanmar Government has received a US$100 million credit from the Word Bank for the Ayeyarwady Integrated River Basin Management (AIRBM) Project. The objective of the AIRBM Project is to help Myanmar develop the institutions and tools needed to enable informed decision making in the management of Myanmar’s water resources and to implement integrated river basin management of the Ayeyarwady Basin. The AIRBM Project includes three components: i) Water Resources Management Institutions, Decision Support System, and Capacity Building; ii) Hydro-Meteorological Observation and Information Systems Modernization; and iii) Navigation Enhancement of the Ayeyarwady.
AIRBM Implementation Arrangements
The implementing agency of the AIRBM Project is the Directorate of Water Resources and Improvement of River Systems (DWIR) of the Ministry of Transport and Communications (MoTC). The Director General (DG) of DWIR also serves as the Secretary of the NWRC Secretariat. The AIRBM Project Steering Committee (PSC) provides overall strategic guidance for the Project, including approval of work plans, procurement plans and budgets. The PSC is headed by a Deputy Vice Minister of the MoTC and includes officials and experts from the NWRC and its Advisory Group.
The Project Management Unit (PMU)
PMU of the AIRBM Project has been established under the DWIR to manage the implementation of the project. The PMU is headed by a Project Director and Deputy Director and comprises 3 Component Management Units, headed by a Component Director, as well as units for procurement, financial management and safeguards. Each unit has engaged an international advisor. The PMU is staffed by approximately 50 staff, including staff of DWIR and consultants. It is located on the grounds of DWIR in Yangon under the overall management of the DG of DWIR.
- To strengthen integrated, climate resilient management
- Development of the Ayeyarwady River Basin and national water resources
- To develop the institutions and tools needed to implement integrated river basin management
- To deliver related livelihoods benefits from enhanced navigation and hydromet warning and advisory services
Project Components and Organizational Structure
AIRBM project constitutes three main components and supporting units.
Component 1 : Water Resource Management Institutions, Decision Support Systems and Capacity Building
Component 2 : Hydro-meteorological Observation and Information Systems Modernization
Component 3 : Navigation Enhancement on the Ayeyarwady River
About Component 1: (Water Resource Management Institutions, Decision Support Systems and Capacity Building)
Component (1) သည်မြန်မာနိုင်ငံတွင် ရေအရင်းအမြစ်စီမံခန့်ခွဲမှု ဆောင်ရွက်ရာ၌ ရေတို၊ ရေလတ်၊ ရေရှည်ကာလ အားလုံးတို့အတွက် အရေးတကြီးလိုအပ်သော အခြေခံအုတ်မြစ်များကို တည်ဆောက်ပေးခြင်း အခန်းကဏ္ဍမှ ပါဝင်ပါသည်။ မြန်မာ့ရေဘက်စုံစီမံခန့်ခွဲမှုကို စနစ်သစ်ဆီသို့ ကူးပြောင်းပေးခြင်းလည်း ဖြစ်ပါသည်။ Water Resources Institutions (NWRC, etc.), Decision Support Systems, Hydro-Informatics Centre, Ayeyarwady River Basin Master Plan, new Investments, and Capacity Building
(7) Main Tasks of Component 1
- Water Resources Institutions / Water Law, Water Framework Directive, Water Policy,
Standards, Regulations and Procedures (Union and Regional levels)
- Empowerment of NWRC, Advisory Group and Supporting Secretariat
- Ayeyarwady Basin Development Plan
- Hydro-Informatics Centre – water operation centre of Myanmar – DSS or decision support organ of NWRC
- Capacity Building
- Stakeholders Forum
- Preparation for Future Investments
About Component 2: Hydro-meteorological Observation and Information Systems Modernization
DMH’s meteorological and hydrological (hydromet) observation systems and services provide hazard warnings for tropical cyclones, storm surges, temperature extremes, floods, flash floods, droughts, landslides and tsunamis. They are also the source of the primary data upon which water management decisions are taken, and provide crucial agricultural advisories for planting, harvesting and crop selection.
- To improve the quality of weather, climate and hydrological information and services in Myanmar.
- To increase the capacity of the DMH to provide information and services for disaster reduction, water resources management, agriculture, transport, environmental protection and other sectors.
- The quality of weather, climate and hydrological information and services of DMH will be improved.
- The capacity of the DMH will be increased to provide information and services for disaster reduction, water resources management, agriculture, transport, environmental protection and other sectors.
- Farmers’ productivity will be increased by improving access to and accuracy of agricultural advisories
Data Analyzing Activities
NWP and modeling Activities
About Component 3 : Navigation Enhancement on the Ayeyarwady River
Component 3 is working on navigation enhancements between Mandalay and Nyaung U town. It includes modeling, implementation, night navigation, etc., along Ayeyarwady River. We aim to help reduce poverty by safe, economical inland water transport that will provide increased opportunities for trade, market access and mobility. Goal of Component 3 is to achieve a sustainable and environmentally sound Transport Corridor.